Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Artist Statement

Though out this semester we learned a lot of techniques with both cameras and Photoshop. First we started with rule of thirds, leading lines, macro, extreme angles, crop, and our self portraits. All of these projects were mainly about how to set up good composition in your photograph. In Photoshop we did a contact sheet, adjustment layers, scary expressions, haunted Chavez, social issue, and lyrics. We also have a couple of art critiques. All of this work can be found in my portfolio.
Overall, I feel I did a good job on the work in my portfolio but I feel I could have done better in some of the projects. The project which I like the best is my social issue. I feel it captured the mood I had in mind and my message can be taken the way the reader wants to because it’s open to individual interpretation. I feel I was most successful in Photoshop. The skills came easily and I would understand all the tools we were required to use. I think I struggled the most on coming up with ideas in a short time. Most of the time I didn’t have my idea fully developed when we were started taking pictures so I didn’t know what kind of picture to take. I feel over the semester that has gotten better though. Also I feel I improved in my photograph’s composition, since in the beginning I had a hard time showing a clear emphasis. I could improve on better placement of my subjects in a photo and of thinking things through before taking the picture.
This semester I learned a variety of new skills that have improved my photography skills. I feel I can use these techniques in my future to take photographs and not just snapshots. Also the skills we learned make our photos more interesting. A big think I enjoyed this semester was getting to look at my classmates’ photos.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Natalia. You are a rockstar. Your portfolio is looking excellent. You consistently work hard at coming up with unique and strong ideas and then creatively showing them. You impress me in just about everything you do. Keep pushing yourself, and keep expressing the ideas you come up with. I always look forward to seeing your art.